Updated at 7:10 p.m EST, Dec. 7, 2007
A pair of suicide bombings in Diyala province shook an otherwise quiet prayer day. Armed attacks were the flavor of the day elsewhere. Overall, at least 39 Iraqis were killed and 45 more were wounded. No Coalition troop deaths were reported.
In Muqdadiya, a female suicide bomber killed as many as 16 people and wounded another 27 at a 1920 Revolutionary Brigades office. Sunni tribesmen who formed this local group switched "sides" this year and are now "local concerned citizens" fighting alongside Coalition troops against other militia outfits.
A suicide car bomber attacked a checkpoint in Dali Abbas, which is just north of Baquba. Seven Iraqi soldiers and three "local concerned citizens" were killed, while another eight people were wounded.
Near the Syrian border at al-Rabia yesterday, four "local concerned citizens" were killed during a drive-by shooting.
A civilian was gunned down near Taza.
Five policemen were wounded during a roadside bombing in Rashad.
In Kirkuk, one person was killed, and a second was hurt during an armed attack. A Kurdish Peshmerga soldier was injured last night in a separate attack. West of the city, a car bomb set an oil pipeline ablaze. Also, two car bombs were defused.
Iraqi police killed a person wearing a suicide belt in Shurqat.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Six Executed in Iraq; Six Others Killed Across Country – August 16th, 2018
- Protests in Basra Ramp up Again; 30 Killed in Iraq – August 15th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018