Updated at 11:20 p.m. EDT, July 24, 2007
Today’s most significant event was a suicide bombing that killed or injured almost 100 in Hilla. Altogether, 59 Iraqis were killed and 103 were injured in the latest attacks. The DOD reported that one American servicemember was killed yesterday in a non-hostile vehicle accident.
A suicide car bomber killed 32 people and wounded 70 more at a marketplace across the street from a maternity hospital in Hilla.
In Baghdad, 18 bodies were recovered from various neighborhoods. A roadside bomb injured two Iraqi soldiers in the Yarmouk district. In Husseiniyah, one person was killed and two wounded during a rocket attack. Mortars fell on the Green Zone, but no casualties were reported. An IED in Zayouna injured two policemen. Gunmen in Adhamiya killed a brigadier general who was also a member of the local council. Two civilians were wounded during a roadside bomb attack in Doura.
Gunmen blew up three homes in Dhuluiya, wounding a police colonel and his eight-year-old son during the event.
A Hawija civil servant was shot and killed.
In Muqdadiyah, mortars killed a man and injured his wife.
An intelligence officer was killed in Diwaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019
- Militia Convoy Attacked; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 14th, 2019
- Security Forces Rescue 30 Civilians; Three Killed in Iraq – February 13th, 2019
- 10 Bodies Found in Mass Grave; 3 Killed in Iraq – February 12th, 2019
- Five Killed in Iraq, Including Security Personnel – February 11th, 2019