Updated at 11:20 p.m. EDT, July 24, 2007
Today’s most significant event was a suicide bombing that killed or injured almost 100 in Hilla. Altogether, 59 Iraqis were killed and 103 were injured in the latest attacks. The DOD reported that one American servicemember was killed yesterday in a non-hostile vehicle accident.
A suicide car bomber killed 32 people and wounded 70 more at a marketplace across the street from a maternity hospital in Hilla.
In Baghdad, 18 bodies were recovered from various neighborhoods. A roadside bomb injured two Iraqi soldiers in the Yarmouk district. In Husseiniyah, one person was killed and two wounded during a rocket attack. Mortars fell on the Green Zone, but no casualties were reported. An IED in Zayouna injured two policemen. Gunmen in Adhamiya killed a brigadier general who was also a member of the local council. Two civilians were wounded during a roadside bomb attack in Doura.
Gunmen blew up three homes in Dhuluiya, wounding a police colonel and his eight-year-old son during the event.
A Hawija civil servant was shot and killed.
In Muqdadiyah, mortars killed a man and injured his wife.
An intelligence officer was killed in Diwaniya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018