Friday: 98 Iraqis, 1 UK Soldier Killed; 93 Iraqis Injured

Updated at 10:50 p.m. EST, Nov. 24, 2006

A day after the single largest attack since the occupation of Iraq began, Baghdad remains under an indefinite curfew. However, some retaliatory violence already has occurred and more is expected. So far today, 98 Iraqis have been killed and another 93 injured in separate events. Also, a British soldier was killed in Basra.

The toll from yesterday’s attack in Sadr City climbed to 215 dead. An indefinite curfew remains in effect in Baghdad; however, mourners are being allowed to transport their dead to the Shi’ite holy city of Najaf for burial.

British authorities reported the death of a British soldier in Basra today. He died from gunshot wounds received during a "search and detention" mission. Also, U.S. troops raided a building housing Moqtada al Sadr’s office in Baquba. Gunmen retaliated by bombing the building. Sporadic clashes also took place, but no casualties were reported. And in Tarmiyah, four militiamen were killed in a gunfight with U.S. troops.

In Baghdad, despite a curfew, the Sunni area of Hurriyah came under retaliatory attack; at least 30 were killed and another 24 injured, some due to smoke inhalation in burning buildings. Sunnis were also told to pack their bags and leave the area or suffer more violence. In Adhamiya and Ghazaliya, mortars killed one and wounded ten people. Morters also fell in Azamiyah, wounding at least five people and damaging a mosque. More rounds fell on the Association of Muslim Scholars, injuring an unspecified number of guards. No casualties were reported when mortars fell on the Shi’ite Shula neighborhood.

Gunmen also killed two guards in Baghdad’s Amil district. In a separate attack, gunmen doused six Sunni worshippers with kerosene and burned them to death as Iraqi army soldiers looked on. Two were wounded at a funeral when U.S. forces mistook ritual shooting for an attack. And 31 dumped bodies were found scattered around the capital.

Elsewhere, a suicide bomber in Tal Afar blew himself up at about the same time as a car bomb was detonated. Twenty-two were killed and 45 injured.

In Baquba, Sunnis blew up a mosque, but no casualties were reported. In a possibly separate event, gunmen killed a guard at an unspecified mosque.

A roadside bomb in front of a mosque in Kirkuk wounded five people.

And six mortars fell on Diwaniya, killing one person and wounding two others.


Compiled by Margaret Griffis

Author: Margaret Griffis

Margaret Griffis is a journalist from Miami Beach, Florida and has been covering Iraqi casualties for since 2006.