Iran-backed Shi’ite militiamen have captured Baaj, securing more territory that analysts believe Iran will use to transfer materials to the Assad regime in Syria. Although the militias were asked, by Baghdad, to refrain from joining Mosul operations, they ignored those orders to some extent and swiftly began capturing territory to the west of Mosul. Militiamen have already suggested that they are ready to travel into Syria to fight.
Human Rights Watch issued a report on the discoveries of bodies that were found across Mosul. The executions of these people appear to be extrajudicial and may even be revenge killings.
At least 245 were killed and four were wounded:
An airstrike on Anah killed a civilian and wounded four more.
Six militants were killed in Baaj.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018