Iran-backed Shi’ite militiamen have captured Baaj, securing more territory that analysts believe Iran will use to transfer materials to the Assad regime in Syria. Although the militias were asked, by Baghdad, to refrain from joining Mosul operations, they ignored those orders to some extent and swiftly began capturing territory to the west of Mosul. Militiamen have already suggested that they are ready to travel into Syria to fight.
Human Rights Watch issued a report on the discoveries of bodies that were found across Mosul. The executions of these people appear to be extrajudicial and may even be revenge killings.
At least 245 were killed and four were wounded:
An airstrike on Anah killed a civilian and wounded four more.
Six militants were killed in Baaj.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018