Iran-backed Shi’ite militiamen have captured Baaj, securing more territory that analysts believe Iran will use to transfer materials to the Assad regime in Syria. Although the militias were asked, by Baghdad, to refrain from joining Mosul operations, they ignored those orders to some extent and swiftly began capturing territory to the west of Mosul. Militiamen have already suggested that they are ready to travel into Syria to fight.
Human Rights Watch issued a report on the discoveries of bodies that were found across Mosul. The executions of these people appear to be extrajudicial and may even be revenge killings.
At least 245 were killed and four were wounded:
An airstrike on Anah killed a civilian and wounded four more.
Six militants were killed in Baaj.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018