Shi’ite militias appear to be preparing to storm Tal Afar despite warnings. Even if they allow regular army forces to enter first, they will likely enter the city as well. The great fear is that they will unleash revenge on innocent Sunnis, just as they have been accused of doing repeatedly in other cities they have liberated. Another fear is that Turkey will involve itself, as promised, to protect the Turkmen minority group that resides in Tal Afar.
The militias have, so far, captured the airport, which they renamed, and other areas outside of the city itself. A trucker said that he spotted burning trucks on the adjacent highway as he carried what he expected would be his last load of produce between Mosul and Raqqa, Syria.
Over 68,000 people are now estimated to be displaced by the fighting in the Mosul theater. This does not include kidnapping victims being used as human shields by the militants.
At least 18 people were killed and eight were wounded:
A bomb on a Sadr City bus wounded three civilians.
Fifteen militants were killed in an airstrike near Tal Afar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018
- Kurdish Brothers Killed in Turkish Airstrike Among Four Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2018