Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi warned Turkey that it is risking a regional war by maintaining uninvited troops within Iraqi territory. Ankara countered by claiming it was invited by Kurdish President Masoud Barzani and that Baghdad had previously supported the Turkish base at Bashiqa. Both countries summoned each other’s ambassadors to lodge complaints. Separately, a Shi’ite militia leader said they would fight the Turkish troops.
Canadian Brigadier General D.J. Anderson warned that once the Islamic State militants are defeated, they may fold into the civilian population and resume their insurgency from that position.
At least 39 were killed and 13 were wounded:
Officials say that about 21 Sunni tribal fighters were killed and five were wounded in a Coalition airstrike south of Mosul, near Kharaib Jabr. It is unclear which Coalition members were involved. Canadian Brigadier General D.J. Anderson said that the Coalition was investigating the report and explained that strikes in the area were targeting militants who were firing on Iraqi security forces. Eight militants were reported killed. The strike, which occurred around 2:00 a.m., followed several hours of clashes, in which at least two fighters were killed. The tribal fighters may have ignored warnings.
In Tikrit, an explosives expert was killed and another was wounded when the bomb they were attempting to defuse exploded instead.
A bomb in Abu Ghraib killed one militiaman and wounded four more.
Three security members were wounded and four militants were killed in a clash in Hayy al-Wasity.
Security forces killed two militants in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018