Operation to Reclaim Baghdad Suburb Begins; 42 Killed in Iraq
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has confirmed that Islamic State militants used chemical weapons against Kurdish servicemembers last summer.
At least 42 were killed and 18 were wounded in recent violence:
Three people were killed and eight were wounded by a blast at a market in Mashada.
In Hawija, militants executed five civilians, one a former army officer, for trying to escape the caliphate.
A tribal conflict in northern Basra resumed.
About 35,000 displaced families were able to return to their homes in Salah ad Din province.
Sixteen militants were killed in clashes in Garma that may be the beginning of a large-scale operation to recover the city.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Military Denies Bombing Fallujah Hospital; 18 Killed in Iraq – May 27th, 2016
- 95 Killed in Iraq; Fighting Continues in Fallujah – May 26th, 2016
- Mounting Concerns for Fallujah Residents; 259 Killed in Iraq – May 25th, 2016
- 66 Killed in Iraq; Forces Claim Victory in Garma – May 24th, 2016
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016