Kurdistan Election Violence Turns Deadly; 18 Killed Across Iraq
Thursday: 18 Killed, 45 Wounded
Pre-election violence occurred in Iraqi Kurdistan took attention away from the usual violence across the rest of Iraq. At least 18 Iraqis were killed and 45 more were wounded.
Gunmen opened fire on a Patriotic Union of Kurdistan campaign gathering in Suleimaniya. Three people were killed and two more were wounded. Elections are scheduled for Sept. 21 in Kurdistan.
Three people were killed and four more were wounded when a bomb exploded in a house in Albo Farraj.
A booby-trapped car killed two insurgents and wounded two more when it blew up prematurely in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. in Baiji killed a soldier and wounded four more.
The family of a 17-year-old who was found shot to death in Hammam al-Alil stressed that the boy had been arrested by army troops.
In Falluja, an I.E.D. blast wounded two soldiers.
A suicide bomber was frightened into blowing himself up in Baghdad.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bomb Targets Baghdad Police Station; 221 Killed in Iraq – April 28th, 2017
- Fresh Civilian Airstrike Deaths; 151 Killed in Iraq – April 27th, 2017
- New Zealand and Australia Deploying More Troops; 134 Killed in Iraq – April 26th, 2017
- Turkish Friendly Fire Kills Kurdish Troops; 86 Killed in Iraq – April 25th, 2017
- Mass Execution near Kirkuk; 58 Killed in Iraq – April 24th, 2017