Kurdistan Election Violence Turns Deadly; 18 Killed Across Iraq
Thursday: 18 Killed, 45 Wounded
Pre-election violence occurred in Iraqi Kurdistan took attention away from the usual violence across the rest of Iraq. At least 18 Iraqis were killed and 45 more were wounded.
Gunmen opened fire on a Patriotic Union of Kurdistan campaign gathering in Suleimaniya. Three people were killed and two more were wounded. Elections are scheduled for Sept. 21 in Kurdistan.
Three people were killed and four more were wounded when a bomb exploded in a house in Albo Farraj.
A booby-trapped car killed two insurgents and wounded two more when it blew up prematurely in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. in Baiji killed a soldier and wounded four more.
The family of a 17-year-old who was found shot to death in Hammam al-Alil stressed that the boy had been arrested by army troops.
In Falluja, an I.E.D. blast wounded two soldiers.
A suicide bomber was frightened into blowing himself up in Baghdad.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014
- 178 Killed, 95 Wounded in Numerous Attacks, Clashes Across Iraq – September 17th, 2014
- Shi’ite Militias Reject PM Ministry Picks; 67 Killed Across Iraq – September 16th, 2014
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014