Attacks across Iraq left at least 42 dead and 90 wounded. Most of the casualties occurred in Baghdad where bombers focused on police and Shi’ite targets.
Baghdad suffered a string of bomb and small arms attacks that left at least 30 dead and 88 others wounded. Eight suspects were also killed. In the worst blast, 14 people were killed when a suicide bomber drove his car into a Karrada police station. At about the same time in Hurriya, another suicide bomber struck a police checkpoint, where he killed nine people. A second bomb in Hurriya, this one planted by the roadside, targeted soldiers. Other bombings, perhaps unrelated, took place in Illam, Washash, and Suleikh. At least three other bombs were discovered before they exploded. Also, gunmen shot and wounded two policemen in the Jihad neighborhood and assassinated an army colonel who was sitting in his car in Amil.
Two Iraqi soldiers were killed in Mosul.
Gunmen in Tuz Khormato killed a civilian.
Two soldiers were wounded during a blast south of Kirkuk.
A large car bomb was found and dismantled in Kut before it could explode.
Three rockets struck a military base near Amara.
One Iraqi soldier was killed and three more were wounded near Tikrit during a vehicular accident involving U.S. personnel.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves up; Four Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2019
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019