Despite recent declarations concerning the defeat of the Islamic State, Iraqi forces launched a new operation against the militants in a region around Metabijh.
At least 97 people were killed or found dead, and six people were wounded:
A pair of mass graves in Sinjar yielded about 90 Yazidi victims, mostly women and children. Locals believe they came from Sheikh Khadr complex and Qabusi.
In Bartala, Shi’ite militiamen wounded five Christian demonstrators who were protesting militia abuses.
A militant was killed during a home invasion in Karbala.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018