Despite recent declarations concerning the defeat of the Islamic State, Iraqi forces launched a new operation against the militants in a region around Metabijh.
At least 97 people were killed or found dead, and six people were wounded:
A pair of mass graves in Sinjar yielded about 90 Yazidi victims, mostly women and children. Locals believe they came from Sheikh Khadr complex and Qabusi.
In Bartala, Shi’ite militiamen wounded five Christian demonstrators who were protesting militia abuses.
A militant was killed during a home invasion in Karbala.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Clashes South of Mosul; 10 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2018
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018