Although formal talks between the Kurdish and Iraqi governments are stalled, back-channel communication is ongoing.
However, the most important news of the day is unrelated to war or politics. An earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale struck at the border between Iraq and Iran — with the heaviest damage being reported at Darbandikhan, Kurdistan. At least 147 people were killed, mostly in Iran.
At least 19 were killed, and 15 were wounded in recent violence and military accidents:
One U.S. Soldier died at Camp Taji in a non-combat-related incident.
One person was killed and five were wounded when a bomb exploded in Taji.
A bomb killed one tribal fighter and wounded three more in Qayara.
In Mosul, a bomb killed an engineer and a construction worker.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017