Although formal talks between the Kurdish and Iraqi governments are stalled, back-channel communication is ongoing.
However, the most important news of the day is unrelated to war or politics. An earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale struck at the border between Iraq and Iran — with the heaviest damage being reported at Darbandikhan, Kurdistan. At least 147 people were killed, mostly in Iran.
At least 19 were killed, and 15 were wounded in recent violence and military accidents:
One U.S. Soldier died at Camp Taji in a non-combat-related incident.
One person was killed and five were wounded when a bomb exploded in Taji.
A bomb killed one tribal fighter and wounded three more in Qayara.
In Mosul, a bomb killed an engineer and a construction worker.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truck Bombing in Contested Town; 88 Killed in Iraq – November 21st, 2017
- Large Operation Against ISIS in Hawija; 30 Killed in Iraq – November 20th, 2017
- Mass Grave Found in Yazidi Town; 46 Killed in Iraq – November 19th, 2017
- Gunmen Attack Baghdad Checkpoint; 20 Killed in Iraq – November 18th, 2017
- Last Remaining ISIS Town in Iraq Captured; 17 Killed in Iraq – November 17th, 2017