A spokesman for Kataib Hezbollah, Jaafar al Hussaini, told reporters that the Shi’ite militia group is fighting the Islamic State militants near Albu Kamal in Syria. He claimed the fighters were already on the Syrian side of the border.
New Zealand is considering pulling its 150 troops out of Iraq and will review the situation next year.
At least 19 people were killed, and 11 were wounded:
A bomb in Mosul killed three children.
Three policemen were killed and three were wounded when militants attacked a customs checkpoint in Adhaim.
In Barwana, gunmen killed two brothers and wounded a third.
A recently displaced woman from Tuz Khormato killed herself in Sulaimaniya.
A civilian was shot dead in Abu Saida.
In Abu Ghraib, a stick bomb killed a police conscript.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018
- PKK Launch Rocket at Turkey; Six Killed in Iraq – January 14th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Baghdad; 19 Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2018