With the probable launch of operations in the Hawija area in the coming days, the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights expects about 80,000 civilians to be in harm’s way. Many will be used as human shields, but many others will use the battle to make their escape.
At least 97 people were killed and seven more were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed seven members of one family in Ramadi.
A civilian was shot dead in Mosul.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded six people.
Security forces killed 55 militants in the Ayadiya region.
Airstrikes on Anah, Rawah, and Qaim left 30 militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018