With the probable launch of operations in the Hawija area in the coming days, the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights expects about 80,000 civilians to be in harm’s way. Many will be used as human shields, but many others will use the battle to make their escape.
At least 97 people were killed and seven more were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed seven members of one family in Ramadi.
A civilian was shot dead in Mosul.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded six people.
Security forces killed 55 militants in the Ayadiya region.
Airstrikes on Anah, Rawah, and Qaim left 30 militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018