With the probable launch of operations in the Hawija area in the coming days, the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights expects about 80,000 civilians to be in harm’s way. Many will be used as human shields, but many others will use the battle to make their escape.
At least 97 people were killed and seven more were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed seven members of one family in Ramadi.
A civilian was shot dead in Mosul.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded six people.
Security forces killed 55 militants in the Ayadiya region.
Airstrikes on Anah, Rawah, and Qaim left 30 militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Civilians Bombed in Turkish Strikes; 26 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2018
- Turkey Bombs PKK Sites; Three Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2018
- Militants Attack Federal Police Unit; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 11th, 2018
- Peshmerga Member Among Two Dead in Iraq – December 9th, 2018
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Targets; 12 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2018