With the probable launch of operations in the Hawija area in the coming days, the Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights expects about 80,000 civilians to be in harm’s way. Many will be used as human shields, but many others will use the battle to make their escape.
At least 97 people were killed and seven more were wounded in recent violence:
Gunmen killed seven members of one family in Ramadi.
A civilian was shot dead in Mosul.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded six people.
Security forces killed 55 militants in the Ayadiya region.
Airstrikes on Anah, Rawah, and Qaim left 30 militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Operations Near Syrian Border; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2018
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018