About 17,000 displaced persons returned to their homes on the Nineveh Plains, to the north and northeast of Mosul. Several minorities live in towns such as Bartala, Bashiqa, Hamdaniya, and Nimrod. They include Christians, Shabaks, and Yazidis.
An Iraqi naval vessel sank after an accident involving a large bulk carrier in territorial waters. Four sailors were killed and 10 were rescued. Another seven are missing.
At least 91 others were killed and 13 were wounded in recent violence:
A civilian was killed and eight were wounded when an old landmine blew up in Qureitagh.
Gunmen near Khalis killed a man and wounded his wife.
Security forces killed 66 militants in the Atshana Mountain range west of Mosul.
Twelve militants were killed in strikes near Mosul.
Jalawla villagers killed four militants.
Shelling left three militants dead in Anah.
In Tal Afar, a booby-trapping expert was among several killed during an accidental explosion.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018
- Turkish Soldier Among 27 Killed in Iraq – May 18th, 2018
- Denmark Withdrawing Special Forces; 12 Killed in Iraq – May 17th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Funeral; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 16th, 2018
- Sadr Offices Bombed; 10 Killed in Iraq – May 15th, 2018