Brett McGurk, the U.S. envoy to the Coalition, announced that Iraqi troops have crossed into the Old City neighborhood, the Islamic State’s last bastion in Mosul.
At least 151 were killed and one was wounded:
In Mosul, a dozen civilians were killed in airstrikes. An I.E.D. killed seven troops. Forty militants were killed in Old City. Another 19 militants were killed in Shifa. Five policemen were arrested for killing a couple they believed were militants, instead of arresting them.
A rocket killed one civilian and wounded another in Mazraa.
In Anbar province, security forces killed 27 militants.
Security forces killed four militants at the Hiliwa airbase in Tuz Khormato.
A suicide bomber was killed by security forces in Qara Tapa.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Tal Afar Oil Wells on Fire; 49 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2017
- Fears for Civilians as Tal Afar Operation Moves Forward; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 20th, 2017
- Tal Afar Operation Starts; 91 Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2017
- 45 Killed in Iraq as Troops Gather Around Tal Afar – August 18th, 2017
- Donkey Bomb Kills Militants; 50 Killed in Iraq – August 17th, 2017