Ján Kubiš, the U.N. envoy to Iraq, said on Monday that despite increasingly difficult fighting conditions, the fall of Mosul is imminent. Furthermore, major operations will likely conclude by the end this year. However, that does not mean the Islamic State threat will be finished. Kubiš expects smaller attacks to continue.
MP Salim Shabak alleges he was physically attacked by Shi’ite militiamen at a checkpoint near Mosul. Four were arrested. Shi’ite militias are also being accused of detaining men and torturing them as they flee Islamic State territory near Mosul.
At least 80 were killed and 18 were wounded:
Eighteen people were executed in Hawija. Most of the victims were members of the Jabouri tribe.
Two civilians were shot dead in Abu Taba.
In Abu Ghraib, a bomb wounded three people.
An airstrike on Baaj left 11 militants dead.
Militiamen killed 10 militants in Tal Qasab.
Two suicide bombers were killed in Samarra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Return to Sadr City; Five Killed in Iraq – August 14th, 2018
- Child Injured in Checkpoint Attack; Six Killed in Iraq – August 13th, 2018
- Fresh ISIS Clashes and Attacks; 42 Killed in Iraq – August 12th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Tribal Fighters near Baiji; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 11th, 2018
- Double Bombing Targets First Responders; Seven Killed in Iraq – August 10th, 2018