Ján Kubiš, the U.N. envoy to Iraq, said on Monday that despite increasingly difficult fighting conditions, the fall of Mosul is imminent. Furthermore, major operations will likely conclude by the end this year. However, that does not mean the Islamic State threat will be finished. Kubiš expects smaller attacks to continue.
MP Salim Shabak alleges he was physically attacked by Shi’ite militiamen at a checkpoint near Mosul. Four were arrested. Shi’ite militias are also being accused of detaining men and torturing them as they flee Islamic State territory near Mosul.
At least 80 were killed and 18 were wounded:
Eighteen people were executed in Hawija. Most of the victims were members of the Jabouri tribe.
Two civilians were shot dead in Abu Taba.
In Abu Ghraib, a bomb wounded three people.
An airstrike on Baaj left 11 militants dead.
Militiamen killed 10 militants in Tal Qasab.
Two suicide bombers were killed in Samarra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Executes Their Own; 12 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2017
- Heavy Fighting and Counterattacks in Mosul; 61 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2017
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017