Ján Kubiš, the U.N. envoy to Iraq, said on Monday that despite increasingly difficult fighting conditions, the fall of Mosul is imminent. Furthermore, major operations will likely conclude by the end this year. However, that does not mean the Islamic State threat will be finished. Kubiš expects smaller attacks to continue.
MP Salim Shabak alleges he was physically attacked by Shi’ite militiamen at a checkpoint near Mosul. Four were arrested. Shi’ite militias are also being accused of detaining men and torturing them as they flee Islamic State territory near Mosul.
At least 80 were killed and 18 were wounded:
Eighteen people were executed in Hawija. Most of the victims were members of the Jabouri tribe.
Two civilians were shot dead in Abu Taba.
In Abu Ghraib, a bomb wounded three people.
An airstrike on Baaj left 11 militants dead.
Militiamen killed 10 militants in Tal Qasab.
Two suicide bombers were killed in Samarra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Truck Drivers at Border; 114 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2018
- U.S. Soldier Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2018
- ISIS Ambushes Shi’ite Militiamen near Kirkuk; 31 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2018
- ISIS Widows Sentenced to Death, Prison; Eight Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2018
- Another Mass Grave Found South of Mosul; 116 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2018