The number of civilians displaced in Mosul since operations were launched in October has now surpassed 630,000 people.
Islamic State militants shot down an Iraqi helicopter supporting an operation led by Shi’ite militiamen west of Mosul. The helicopter landed safely, and there were no casualties. Heavy fighting was reported in the region.
At least 93 were killed and eight were wounded in recent violence:
A roadside bomb killed a soldier and wounded a militiaman in Saidiya.
Missiles wounded six civilians in Dendan.
Fighting in the Qayrawan region left 77 militants dead.
Thirteen militants were killed during an airstrike on their meeting place in Qaim.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Dozens of Convicts; 116 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2017
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017
- Dozens of Bodies Found in Mass Graves; 121 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2017