Security forces opened a new pontoon bridge in Mosul. The city’s bridges had been destroyed in the fighting, but two pontoon bridges were built once forces recaptured enough territory. Unfortunately, recent rains and flooding made those two temporary bridges unusable. The new bridge should assist the displaced in fleeing Islamic State territory.
At least 108 were killed and four were wounded:
In Mosul, 30 civilians and 10 militants were killed in an airstrike on Mosul al-Jadida. A car bomb in the Thawra district killed 16 people, including children. A militant was killed in a rocket attack, also in Thawra. Two more were killed by security forces. Fifteen militants were killed in a strike.
In Abu Ghraib, an attack wounded two soldiers.
Militiamen killed 14 militants in Harariyat.
An airstrike near Riyadh killed 10 militants, including an official.
Seven militants were killed during an operation in the Makhoul Mountains.
Security forces killed a militant in Mansouriya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Near Kirkuk; 27 Killed in Iraq – January 23rd, 2019
- Turkish Jets Cross Border to Target PKK; 14 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2019
- Four People Killed in Iraq Attacks – January 20th, 2019
- Basra Protests Turn Violent Again; Two Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2019
- 40 Bodies in ISIS Grave; Seven Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2019