About 240 U.S. troops from the 82nd Airborne Division will be deployed to Iraq to provide assistance in the Mosul theater, according to defense officials.
Amnesty International warned that the U.S.-led Coalition is not adequately protecting civilians in Mosul. Meanwhile, Atheel al-Nujaifi, commander of the Nineveh Guards and former governor of Nineveh province, openly suspects that Sunni civilians are being targeted deliberately. More airstrike deaths were reported on Monday.
At least 127 were killed and eight were wounded in the latest violence:
Resistance forces killed a militant and wounded two more in Shirqat.
A bomb in Baghdad wounded two people.
Two policemen were wounded by a blast in Dibs.
In the Hamrin Basin, gunmen wounded an army officer.
A militant led officials to a mass grave in Saidiya.
Security forces in the Makhoul Mountains killed eight militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018