Although Shi’ite militiamen promised not to enter the city of Fallujah, witnesses say the militiamen have donned federal police uniforms in order to sneak into the city. There are reports of militia casualties that could confirm the accounts. The U.S. military says it is concerned about the deception. Separately, the United Nations stated that it has received new reports of rights violations by the militias, which the militiamen say is part of a smear campaign.
Lt. General Abdul-Wahab al-Saadi said as many as 4,000 militants have been killed during the Fallujah operation. However, the Iraqi government also declared victory in Fallujah on Friday. Heavy fighting there continues.
At least 256 were killed and 20 more were wounded:
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded five more in Suleikh. A suicide bomber killed four security members and wounded five more at a checkpoint. Security forces killed a militant.
One policeman was killed and four were wounded in a blast in Mishada.
A bomb in Taji injured four civilians.
Two civilians were injured when shells fell on Mukhisa.
In Khirbet al-Sham, strikes left 83 militants dead.
Airstrikes on Zankura left 55 militants dead.
Twenty militants were killed in strikes on Jaber.
In Nawaran, security forces killed 20 militants.
Eleven militants were killed in strikes on Muhammad Moosa.
Security forces in Saniya killed six militants.
Five militants were killed in Nasr.
In Mosul, militants killed four of their own.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018