To lessen any hostility from security forces, Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr recalled his Saraya Salam (Peace Brigades) from Baghdad and Sadr City streets. They were deployed as a precaution after yesterday’s attacks.
Coalition spokesperson Colonel Steve Warren urged the Iraqi government to maintain troops where they are already deployed instead of relocating them to protect the capital. The Islamic State militants may be focusing their efforts on Baghdad to take pressure off them at the front lines. He believes it is more important to expel Daesh militants from Iraq.
Several guerrillas were killed in Turkish airstrikes on suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) targets in northern Iraq.
At least 219 people were killed and 28 were wounded:
A family of five died of dehydration while attempting to escape Daesh territory in Hawija.
A bomb in Yusufiya killed one militiaman and wounding five more.
In Muqdadiya, an elderly man was shot dead.
A militant mass grave or cemetery containing 99 bodies was found in Baaj.
Fifteen militants were killed in a strike on Bashiqa.
The army shelled Awsaja and Qayara, killing 14 militants.
Peshmerga forces killed 10 militants in Kesk.
Strikes killed seven militants in Tiskhrab.
A strike on Tal Azab killed three militants, including a senior leader.
The United States reported killing three militants, including two high value targets.
Dozens of militants were killed during the liberation of villages within the Rutba district.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017