Parliament appears unlikely to approve Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s picks for a new technocrat cabinet and, instead, the prominent blocs will nominate their own candidates. Three members of parliament who are loyal to Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr resigned in protest.
At least 230 people were killed and 189 were wounded:
The militia casualties from the failed Bashir offensive are 15 dead, 90 wounded, 20 missing. Those figures are up by five dead and 40 wounded from earlier reports. Forty militants were killed and 25 were wounded. Although security forces were forced to retreat, they were able to liberate the villages of Albu Moufarej and Mazraa just west of Bashir.
A mortar attack killed a civilian in Kirkuk.
In Dulab, strikes left 13 militants dead.
Bombs planted by unidentified forces killed 12 militants in Tal Afar.
In Heitawiyan, 12 militants were killed.
Eleven militants were killed and 12 were wounded in Albu Shejil, Garma, and Nazim al–Taqsim.
Strikes on Qayara left 10 militants dead.
Eight militants were killed in Albu Soda.
Security forces killed seven militants in Saniya.
Three suicide bombers were killed in Amiriyat al-Falluja.
In Zawiya, three militants were killed.
A suicide bomber was killed in Ba’Shiqah.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017