At least 56 people were killed today, mostly militants in Anbar and other provinces. Another 18 people were wounded. However, gruesome images and video, allegedly taken by soldiers in Anbar province, suggest that the death tolls could be much higher than is being reported. Soldiers are also reporting high rates of desertion among troops.
Shelling killed ten militants in Subhayat.
In Mosul, two dumped bodies were found. A car bomb killed a Peshmerga fighter. A bomb wounded two policemen. In separate attacks, gunmen killed two bodyguards who for judges. A civilian and a policeman were also killed in two separate, small arms attacks.
Gunmen killed a village mayor and his son near Hawija.
A bomb targeting the Ishaqi police chief while he was on his way to a funeral wounded two bodyguards instead.
Clashes in Jurf al-Sakhar continued today where five gunmen were killed and one policeman was wounded.
Bombs in Mussayab wounded eight soldiers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Troops Still Chasing ISIS; 39 Killed in Iraq – December 17th, 2017
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017