At least 56 people were killed today, mostly militants in Anbar and other provinces. Another 18 people were wounded. However, gruesome images and video, allegedly taken by soldiers in Anbar province, suggest that the death tolls could be much higher than is being reported. Soldiers are also reporting high rates of desertion among troops.
Shelling killed ten militants in Subhayat.
In Mosul, two dumped bodies were found. A car bomb killed a Peshmerga fighter. A bomb wounded two policemen. In separate attacks, gunmen killed two bodyguards who for judges. A civilian and a policeman were also killed in two separate, small arms attacks.
Gunmen killed a village mayor and his son near Hawija.
A bomb targeting the Ishaqi police chief while he was on his way to a funeral wounded two bodyguards instead.
Clashes in Jurf al-Sakhar continued today where five gunmen were killed and one policeman was wounded.
Bombs in Mussayab wounded eight soldiers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018