At least 62 were killed in ongoing violence and another 18 were wounded. Most of the casualties occurred in Anbar province where a suicide bomber targeted a wedding party. Also, seven men were executed.
The Iraqi government announced the executions of seven men. Three were convicted of the murder, in Lebanon, of an Iraqi man who was the father of a current lawmaker. They were accused of being agents for former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. The other four were found guilty on terrorism charges. These deaths bring the total known number of executions to 44 this year.
The suicide bombing of military checkpoint at the Rawa Bridge left at least 16 dead and the groom wounded as his wedding party was crossing. More people may have also drowned when their cars fell into the Euphrates River as the bridge collapsed. Several soldiers were reported killed, and at least two security personnel were wounded.
A clash in Albu Bali killed three soldiers.
Security forces killed 24 militants in Garma and Moadafin.
Shelling killed a civilian and wounded six others in Falluja.
An army colonel was killed in an unreported location.
In Mosul, gunmen killed the son of a former lawmaker. A soldier was killed and another was wounded in a small arms attack. Gunmen wounded an elections employee. Security forces killed a suicide bomber. A suicide bomber killed one person and wounded three more.
Gunmen killed an intelligence officer and his driver in Baquba.
A civilian was wounded in a sticky bomb blast in Kirkuk.
In Muqdadiya, a teacher was shot dead in a drive-by shooting.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018
- Kurdish Brothers Killed in Turkish Airstrike Among Four Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2018