Militants staged an attacked north of Baghdad in the city of Samarra. They were able to hold the local city council building, but were eventually overcome. At least 42 people were killed and 74 more were wounded across the country.
In Anbar province:
In Falluja, an air strike targeting a car left four people dead and six wounded, including women and children. Four family members were wounded during shelling. Ongoing clashes were reported, and several militants were killed in one of them.
A bomb in Hit left one policeman dead and three more wounded.
Gunmen killed two civilians in Qaim.
Two soldiers were killed and four more were wounded during an attack on a checkpoint at al-Sjer.
Further west at the Syrian border, a militant was killed trying to enter Iraq.
In Samarra, seven militants attacked the local council headquarters, where they killed seven people. At least 47 more people were wounded, some of them councilmembers. All seven militants were killed after a two-hour firefight that ended their combination attack. One car bomb was used, but several of the militants were also wearing suicide vests.
In Mosul, a combined car bomb and suicide bomber killed one policeman and wound six others. A roadside bomb killed a policeman and wounded two civilians.
Gunmen intercepted a car in Qayara, where they killed one policeman and wounded an intelligence officer.
Gunmen killed a vacationing policeman near Imam Weis.
A sticky bomb in Muqdadiya wounded a civilian.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017