Today’s attacks left 40 dead and 59 wounded, including several foreign medical workers. Also, ISIS/DAASH militants took over a northern Iraq town in Salah ad Din province. Militants have tried to take over the town as recently as last year, but considering the events in Anbar, this attempt could be more serious.
Far from Anbar province, militants have taken over Suleiman Bek, where they are still in control. Security forces have sealed off the town. The town has had a long history of post-invasion violence, and it saw numerous clashes last year. Two policemen were wounded in sporadic gunfire and clashes. Gunmen were said to have taken control of several neighboring villages and suburbs.
Shelling intensified in Falluja overnight. Shells wounded nine employees at the hospital including Indian and Bangladeshi nationals. An attack at a checkpoint just south of the city killed two soldiers and wounded four more.
Six militants were killed in clashes in Khalidiya.
Four policemen were killed and three more were wounded at a Ramadi checkpoint. Parts of the city were reportedly lost to militants after intense clashes.
Outside of Anbar province:
Three people were killed and 12 were wounded in a roadside blast in Baquba.
Gunmen stormed a home in Zab where they killed two people and wounded two others who were attending a gathering of security personnel.
A sticky bomb killed a Sahwa member in Abu Ghraib.
Three militants were killed in Qayara.
A gunman was killed in Qaim.
An airstrike in Garma killed two militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018