80 Iraqis Killed, 236 Wounded As Bombers Converge on Baghdad Again
Car bombers struck en masse in and around the capital again today. Overall, at least 80 people were killed and 236 more were wounded across the country.
In Baghdad, two car bombs killed nine people and wounded 32 more in Husseiniya. In Ilam, a bomb killed seven people and wounded 15 more. Six people were killed and 15 more were wounded in a bombing at an ice cream shop in Karrada. A bomb in Saidiya left six dead and 15 more wounded. In Maamel, a bomb killed three people and wounded 41 more. Six people were killed and 17 more were wounded in a blast at a Baghdad al-Jadida souk. Four people were killed and 14 more were wounded in a Zaafaraniya blast. In Shurta IV, a bomb killed five people and wounded 12 more. A bomb in Doura killed one person and wounded seven more; gunmen shot dead two people. In Abu Dsheer, one person was killed and four more were wounded. A bomb in Bayaa wounded seven people. Also, four dumped bodies bearing gunshot wounds were discovered around the city.
Twelve people were killed and 39 more were wounded in Tarmiya during two explosions.
Three people were killed and eight more were wounded in a Sadr City blast.
Gunmen killed five family members, including three children during a home invasion in Arab Jabour.
A car bomb killed five people and wounded five more in Jbela.
A blast in Haswa wounded a civilian and a child.
Snipers killed a Sunni cleric in Basra.
A sticky bomb in Muqdadiya wounded three people; two of them were off-duty cops.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Forces Shot at in Mosul; 130 Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2017
- Civilians Flee Renewed Fighting in Mosul; 155 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2017
- Non-combat Death of U.S. Servicemember; 144 Others Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2017
- Early Advances in Mosul Operation; 151 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2017
- Defense Officials Say Mosul Operations Restart; 85 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2017