For the fourth day in a row, soccer players or fans were targeted in attacks in or near Baghdad. Today, bombers struck at a field just south of the capital. In the north, a funeral was targeted as well. Also, the number of deaths at a soccer event in Baquba yesterday doubled. Overall, at least 41 people were killed and 57 more were wounded.
Around midnight in Zangoura, a bomb planted on a Sahwa fighter’s car exploded, drawing victims in to a second explosion. At least 11 people were killed and about 19 more were wounded in the blasts near Ramadi.
In Madaen, a pair of bombs targeting a soccer field left five dead and 15 wounded.
In Baghdad, the body of a Sahwa leader was found a day after his abduction. A bombing at a Khadraa bakery killed three people and perhaps wounded five more. Gunmen killed one person and wounded another in Andalus Square.
A soldier was killed and an officer wounded in a small arms attack near Taza.
Gunmen killed a Sahwa member near Kirkuk.
The number of people killed in yesterday’s attack in Baquba doubled to 20 killed after authorities announced that 10 more people had died.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019