Iraq Bloodshed: 33 Killed, 72 Wounded
A series of bombings and an armed attack on a Baghdad neighborhood that is home to several government buildings left dozens dead or wounded. Also, violence against political candidates continued. Provincial elections take place next month, except in Anbar and the provinces comprising Iraqi Kurdistan. At least 33 people were killed and 72 more were wounded.
A complex, coordinated attack took place in Baghdad shortly after noon. The violence left 24 killed and 57 wounded. About six gunmen who had been wearing police uniforms were also killed, as was at least one suicide bomber. The attack occurred near the Justice Ministry, which is temporarily housed in the Allawi neighborhood following a devastating 2009 attack. The minister is traveling abroad.
At least one car bomb and perhaps a suicide bomber launched the attack with near simultaneous explosions at government buildings in the ministry’s neighborhood. The six uniformed gunmen then stormed the ministry building in the chaos following the blasts. Many of the estimated 1000 people in the building either hid or were evacuated out a back door. Security forces re-took the scene after about one hour of fighting. The gunmen detonated their own suicide vests towards the end of the assualt.
Near Samarra, a sticky bomb targeting a political candidate killed his driver and wounded three bystanders or bodyguards. The candidate was also wounded.
Gunmen in Falluja killed a civilian and wounded two others in a drive-by shooting involving motorcycles.
Also in Baghdad, gunmen attacked an Interior Ministry official’s convoy in the Amil district, but only wounded the driver and a bodyguard.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 109 Killed As Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Iraq Army Base – September 22nd, 2014
- Siege at Army Base Ongoing; 175 Killed, 102 Wounded Across Iraq – September 21st, 2014
- Clashes and Airstrikes Across Iraq Leave 154 Dead and Dozens Wounded – September 20th, 2014
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014