Iraq Bloodshed: 33 Killed, 72 Wounded
A series of bombings and an armed attack on a Baghdad neighborhood that is home to several government buildings left dozens dead or wounded. Also, violence against political candidates continued. Provincial elections take place next month, except in Anbar and the provinces comprising Iraqi Kurdistan. At least 33 people were killed and 72 more were wounded.
A complex, coordinated attack took place in Baghdad shortly after noon. The violence left 24 killed and 57 wounded. About six gunmen who had been wearing police uniforms were also killed, as was at least one suicide bomber. The attack occurred near the Justice Ministry, which is temporarily housed in the Allawi neighborhood following a devastating 2009 attack. The minister is traveling abroad.
At least one car bomb and perhaps a suicide bomber launched the attack with near simultaneous explosions at government buildings in the ministry’s neighborhood. The six uniformed gunmen then stormed the ministry building in the chaos following the blasts. Many of the estimated 1000 people in the building either hid or were evacuated out a back door. Security forces re-took the scene after about one hour of fighting. The gunmen detonated their own suicide vests towards the end of the assualt.
Near Samarra, a sticky bomb targeting a political candidate killed his driver and wounded three bystanders or bodyguards. The candidate was also wounded.
Gunmen in Falluja killed a civilian and wounded two others in a drive-by shooting involving motorcycles.
Also in Baghdad, gunmen attacked an Interior Ministry official’s convoy in the Amil district, but only wounded the driver and a bodyguard.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Pakistani and Saudi Pilgrims Among 30 Killed, 53 Wounded Across Iraq – December 18th, 2013
- More Attacks Against Shi’ite Pilgrims in Iraq; 33 Killed, 62 Wounded – December 17th, 2013
- Iraq Attacks Against Pilgrims, Govt Buildings Leave 100 Dead and 183 Wounded – December 16th, 2013
- Journalist Among 37 Killed in Iraq, 62 More Wounded – December 15th, 2013
- Bomb Targets Pilgrims; 34 Killed, 43 Wounded Across Iraq – December 14th, 2013