Attack on Iranian Dissident Camp Adds to Iraq Bloodshed
Saturday: 6 MEK, 1 Iraqi Killed; 50 MEK, 8 Iraqis Wounded
As many as six people were killed and 50 more were wounded in a heavy mortar and rocket attack on a camp housing the Iranian dissident group Mujahedeen al-Khalq. Three Iraqi policemen were also wounded. As many as 40 mortars or rockets rained on the camp during the assault. One camp spokesperson claimed that 100 people were wounded. No one has, as yet, taken responsibility for the attack, but the Badr Brigade maintains a presence in the area where the rockets were launched.
The controversial dissidents, listed as terrorists by some, had been living for decades at Camp Ashraf in eastern Iraq until last year when Baghdad forcibly moved them to Camp Liberty where today’s attack took place.
Meanwhile, at least one Iraqi was killed and five others were wounded in separate violence.
A civilian was wounded when a roadside bomb exploded in the Thar Thar region.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint near Hilla but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Airstrikes near Fallujah Kill Hundreds; 285 Killed in Iraq – June 29th, 2016
- Sinjar Mass Graves in Danger of Destruction; 197 Killed Across Iraq – June 28th, 2016
- Suicide Blast at Abu Ghraib Mosque; 166 Killed in Iraq – June 27th, 2016
- Iran Artillery Fire Wounds Civilians; 93 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2016
- Militia Accused of Destroying Homes; 112 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2016