Attack on Iranian Dissident Camp Adds to Iraq Bloodshed
Saturday: 6 MEK, 1 Iraqi Killed; 50 MEK, 8 Iraqis Wounded
As many as six people were killed and 50 more were wounded in a heavy mortar and rocket attack on a camp housing the Iranian dissident group Mujahedeen al-Khalq. Three Iraqi policemen were also wounded. As many as 40 mortars or rockets rained on the camp during the assault. One camp spokesperson claimed that 100 people were wounded. No one has, as yet, taken responsibility for the attack, but the Badr Brigade maintains a presence in the area where the rockets were launched.
The controversial dissidents, listed as terrorists by some, had been living for decades at Camp Ashraf in eastern Iraq until last year when Baghdad forcibly moved them to Camp Liberty where today’s attack took place.
Meanwhile, at least one Iraqi was killed and five others were wounded in separate violence.
A civilian was wounded when a roadside bomb exploded in the Thar Thar region.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint near Hilla but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 716 Killed As Army and Peshmerga Forces Liberate Iraq Towns – October 25th, 2014
- U.S. Marine, 286 Others Killed Across Iraq – October 24th, 2014
- Another Town Falls to ISIS; 114 Killed Across Iraq – October 23rd, 2014
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014