More Violence in Iraq: 26 Killed, 55 Wounded
A new bombing and other violence left 26 dead and 55 wounded.
At least 22 people were killed and 45 more were wounded in a suicide blast targeting Sahwa headquarters in Taji. Soldiers were also among the casualties. Because the Sahwa are a Sunni militia that has fought alongside US troops against al-Qaeda forces, insurgents have frequently targeted them. Today’s attack occurred as the men were collecting their paychecks. Meanwhile, a Sahwa leader warned of a return of al-Qaeda insurgents to Anbar province.
In Abu Ghraib, a sticky bomb killed a high-ranking official and wounded two civilian bystanders. Five people were wounded in a separate bombing.
An insurgent was killed as he was planting a bomb near Jalawla.
A roadside bomb killed an officer and wounded three policemen in Baghdad‘s Jihad neigbhorhood.
A shooting in Kirkuk left four young people with injuries.
Gunmen wounded an officer on a highway near Dujail.
In Mosul, a bomb targeted a former chairman from the provincial council but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 598 Killed in Iraq; Hundreds Sickened by Sulfur Fumes – October 22nd, 2016
- 553 Killed and Executed in Iraq as Militants Attack Kirkuk – October 21st, 2016
- US Soldier Among 126 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2016
- 232 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Fighting Heats Up – October 19th, 2016
- 180 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Operations Continue – October 18th, 2016