More Violence in Iraq: 26 Killed, 55 Wounded
A new bombing and other violence left 26 dead and 55 wounded.
At least 22 people were killed and 45 more were wounded in a suicide blast targeting Sahwa headquarters in Taji. Soldiers were also among the casualties. Because the Sahwa are a Sunni militia that has fought alongside US troops against al-Qaeda forces, insurgents have frequently targeted them. Today’s attack occurred as the men were collecting their paychecks. Meanwhile, a Sahwa leader warned of a return of al-Qaeda insurgents to Anbar province.
In Abu Ghraib, a sticky bomb killed a high-ranking official and wounded two civilian bystanders. Five people were wounded in a separate bombing.
An insurgent was killed as he was planting a bomb near Jalawla.
A roadside bomb killed an officer and wounded three policemen in Baghdad‘s Jihad neigbhorhood.
A shooting in Kirkuk left four young people with injuries.
Gunmen wounded an officer on a highway near Dujail.
In Mosul, a bomb targeted a former chairman from the provincial council but no casualties were reported.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 2,381 Killed in Iraq During September – September 30th, 2016
- Australia Politician Visits Front Lines; 65 Killed in Iraq – September 29th, 2016
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016