35 Killed in Attack on Shi’ite Pilgrims in Iraq
Saturday: 36 Killed, 31 Wounded
At least 36 people were killed and 31 more were wounded in attacks today. Some of the victims were Shi’ite pilgrims traveling from Iran and Pakistan.
A car bomb blast at a rest stop in Balad killed 35 people and wounded 29 more. Several victims were Iranian or Pakistani nationals. The bomb targeted the group as they paused between visits to Shi’ite shrines. They had just arrived on two buses from Samarra.
In Mosul, gunmen killed a policeman and another person.
A sticky bomb wounded a man in Falluja.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Rattled by Blasts: 43 Killed Across Iraq – June 18th, 2013
- Bombings Return to Central Iraq; 23 Killed – June 17th, 2013
- Iraq’s Shi’ite South Targeted: 54 Killed, 174 Wounded – June 16th, 2013
- 23 Killed Across Iraq; Mortar Attack on Iranian Dissident Camp – June 15th, 2013
- Iraq: Sunni Governor Unhurt in Assassination Attempt, Two Others Killed – June 13th, 2013