Anti-American Protests Across Iraq; 6 Killed in Usual Violence
Thursday: 6 Iraqis Killed, 15 Wounded
Although violence continued to be light today, anti-American protests erupted in several Iraq cities. At least six Iraqis were killed and 15 more were wounded in new attacks.
Protests against an amateur video clip depicting Mohammad negatively spread into Iraq today, as part of a multi-nation backlash.. Followers of Moqtada al-Sadr were encouraged to demonstrate and demand the closure of the U.S. embassy. One Iraqi lawmaker called on the U.S. government to punish the filmmakers, and the Asaib Ahl al-Haq militia outright threatened American interests. There were no reports of casualties connected to the protests.
Four soldiers were killed and one more was wounded in a bombing in Tikrit.
A bomb in Sadeh, near Mosul, killed one soldier and wounded another.
A bomb wounded three policemen in Garma.
Two policemen were wounded in a bombing in Daquq.
A bomb in Ramadi targeted the home of the provincial governor but left no casualties when it exploded.
Four bombs were defused in Halabja.
Police safely detonated a car bomb in Abu Ghraib.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Camp Speicher Victims Found; 88 Killed in Iraq – January 21st, 2017
- Executions in Kirkuk; 102 Killed in Iraq – January 20th, 2017
- Militants Execute Civilians in Mosul; 101 Killed Across Iraq – January 19th, 2017
- Operations Wrapping up in Eastern Mosul; 131 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2017
- Bodies Litter Tigris River in Mosul; 39 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2017