Anti-American Protests Across Iraq; 6 Killed in Usual Violence
Thursday: 6 Iraqis Killed, 15 Wounded
Although violence continued to be light today, anti-American protests erupted in several Iraq cities. At least six Iraqis were killed and 15 more were wounded in new attacks.
Protests against an amateur video clip depicting Mohammad negatively spread into Iraq today, as part of a multi-nation backlash.. Followers of Moqtada al-Sadr were encouraged to demonstrate and demand the closure of the U.S. embassy. One Iraqi lawmaker called on the U.S. government to punish the filmmakers, and the Asaib Ahl al-Haq militia outright threatened American interests. There were no reports of casualties connected to the protests.
Four soldiers were killed and one more was wounded in a bombing in Tikrit.
A bomb in Sadeh, near Mosul, killed one soldier and wounded another.
A bomb wounded three policemen in Garma.
Two policemen were wounded in a bombing in Daquq.
A bomb in Ramadi targeted the home of the provincial governor but left no casualties when it exploded.
Four bombs were defused in Halabja.
Police safely detonated a car bomb in Abu Ghraib.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Security Forces Cooperate and Free Bashir; 165 Killed in Iraq – May 2nd, 2016
- 4,609 Killed in Iraq During April – May 1st, 2016
- 80 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike in Baghdad – April 30th, 2016
- Suicide Attack on Forces in Anbar; 195 Killed in Iraq – April 29th, 2016
- Biden Visits Baghdad; 107 Killed in Iraq – April 28th, 2016