Eight Iraqis Killed in New Attacks Against Security Forces
Sunday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 6 Wounded
At least eight Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence that was directed at security personnel or political leaders. Most eyes, however, were turned towards the Iraq-Turkey border where the battle between Turkish troops and Kurdish rebels intensified.
Nineteen people were killed and at least 15 were wounded when Kurdish rebels attacked a Turkish border post. Turkish warplanes may possibly enter Iraq chasing the retreating rebels who use northern Iraq for its base camps. Turkey has entered Iraqi territory without permission for years in pursuit of the rebels.
Three policemen were killed when gunmen attacked their checkpoint in Bab Sinjar.
A policeman’s body bearing bullet wounds to the head was found in Kut.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Monday Mayhem: 133 Killed, 283 Wounded in Iraq – May 20th, 2013
- Iraqi Police Targeted As Attacks Claim 44 Lives – May 19th, 2013
- Forty Killed Across Iraq; 13 Kidnapped in Anbar Province – May 18th, 2013
- Retaliation Against Sunnis Leave 90 Dead, 201 Wounded Across Iraq – May 17th, 2013
- Bombings Continue in Baghdad, Kirkuk; 40 Killed – May 16th, 2013