At least eight Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence that was directed at security personnel or political leaders. Most eyes, however, were turned towards the Iraq-Turkey border where the battle between Turkish troops and Kurdish rebels intensified.
Nineteen people were killed and at least 15 were wounded when Kurdish rebels attacked a Turkish border post. Turkish warplanes may possibly enter Iraq chasing the retreating rebels who use northern Iraq for its base camps. Turkey has entered Iraqi territory without permission for years in pursuit of the rebels.
Three policemen were killed when gunmen attacked their checkpoint in Bab Sinjar.
A policeman’s body bearing bullet wounds to the head was found in Kut.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018