Bloody Iraq: 23 Killed, 170 Wounded in Attacks on Shi’ite Shoppers, Iranian Pilgrims
Friday: 22 Iraqis, 1 Iranian Killed; 161 Iraqis, 9 Iranians Wounded
A significant double bombing at a pet market hearkened back to the height of sectarian violence. Overall, at least 22 Iraqis were killed and 161 more were wounded across the country. Also, one Iranian pilgrim was killed and nine more were wounded in attacks in Samarra.
In Baghdad, a double bombing at a pet market in Husseiniya left at least 14 dead and as many as 150 injured. The primary bomb lured in first responders to another blast that was set to explode three minutes later. Prayer day attacks on markets were common during the height of sectarian violence and have recently seen a surge in use. Iraqi shoppers enjoy visiting pet markets after communal prayers at mosques, making them easy targets for bombers. Also in the capital, gunmen killed three policemen at a checkpoint in the Bayaa district.
In Samarra, one Iranian pilgrim was killed and 10 others were wounded, seven of them also Iranian, in a suicide bombing. Two Iranian pilgrims were wounded in a separate mortar attack. Samarra is home to the al-Askari shrine, which is one of the holiest sites in the country. Also, a bombing at a Sunni Endowment official’s home wounded a bystander, while gunmen killed a restaurateur elsewhere. Another bomb wounded three more people.
The body of a beheaded four-year-old girl was discovered in Ishaqi. A ransom had been asked for her safe return.
A former army officer was assassinated in Qayara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 215 Killed in Iraq, Including Civilians Executed by Shi’ite Militiamen – January 26th, 2015
- Military Operations, Attacks Across Iraq Leave 692 Killed – January 25th, 2015
- Bombers Return to Baghdad; 134 Killed across Iraq – January 24th, 2015
- 82 Killed in Iraq; Peshmerga Shell Central Mosul – January 23rd, 2015
- 118 Killed in Iraq, Tribal Fighters Threaten To Quit Battle in Anbar – January 22nd, 2015