The terrorism trial against Tareq al-Hashemi resumed today, with Hashemi’s lawyers returning in their official capacity but without Hashemi himself. The lawyers had quit in protest during an earlier session, claiming judicial bias against Hashemi. Hashemi, meanwhile, is in Turkey and denies all charges. After police witnesses claimed they found several silencers at Hashemi’s home and that of his son-in-law’s, court was adjourned until next month.
Meanwhile, at least 18 Iraqis were killed and 12 more were wounded.
In Mosul, three policemen were shot dead at a checkpoint. Another policeman was killed at his home. Five people were killed and three policemen were wounded; three civilians were among the dead.
A roadside bomb killed five people and wounded three more in Ayadiya; a woman and two policemen were among the casualties.
A bike bomb killed one civilian and wounded five others in Tarmiya.
In Baghdad, gunmen stormed a money exchange killing the owner and wounding his son.
A tribal leader was assassinated in Falluja.
An I.E.D. killed a security guard, working for the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, in Jalawla.
The daughter of a security official went missing in Tuz Khormato.
In Rawa, a councilman’s son was kidnapped.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Heavy Fighting and Counterattacks in Mosul; 61 Killed in Iraq – June 26th, 2017
- Hawija Displaced Found Dead; 200 Killed in Iraq – June 25th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Mosul War Zone; 59 Killed in Iraq – June 24th, 2017
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017