Saturday: 4 Iraqis Killed, 10 Wounded
Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr drew thousands of Iraqis to his first speech since returning home from Iran. Al-Sadr spoke of resisting the United States but also allowing American troops the opportunity to leave in a "suitable" way. He also gave support to the government he once fought and which had, or perhaps still has, a warrant out for his arrest. Meanwhile, at least four Iraqis were killed and 10 more were wounded in light violence. No reports escaped Baghdad today even though "bombings and shooting remain a daily occurrence in the Iraqi capital."
Eight people were wounded when a bomb exploded in Abu Ghraib.
In Khan Bani Saad, a bomb killed one soldier and wounded another.
An off-duty policeman was shot dead in Taji.
In Mosul, a soldier was wounded when an I.E.D. exploded.
A hostage was liberated in Qayara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 95 Killed in Iraq; Fighting Continues in Fallujah – May 26th, 2016
- Mounting Concerns for Fallujah Residents; 259 Killed in Iraq – May 25th, 2016
- 66 Killed in Iraq; Forces Claim Victory in Garma – May 24th, 2016
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016
- Falluja Operation Begins; 219 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2016