Tuesday: 3 Iraqis Killed, 9 Wounded
At least three Iraqis were killed and nine more were wounded in light violence. Karbala is on high alert for potential attacks ahead of Friday’s religious observance. Also, Gen. Ray Odierno publicly disagreed with a memo suggesting that U.S. troops could accelerate withdrawal from Iraq.
In Mosul, a gunman was killed during an attack on a checkpoint. A soldier was injured in a separate shooting. An off-duty government employee was shot dead. Two soldiers were wounded in a bombing west of the city yesterday. Security forces arrested a number of key al-Qaeda suspects, who may be behind the continued violence plaguing the city.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb wounded four in Doura. A man suspected of killing a well-known journalist in 2006 confessed to the murder. Two separate bombs targeting a cellphone company left no casualties.
A bomb in Jurf al-Sakhar wounded two people.
Gunmen killed the brother of Mussayab’s police chief.
In Karbala, police learned that al-Qaeda is targeting pilgrims heading to Karbala for Friday’s religious observance. So far, 12 bombs were discovered and defused. Six suspects were arrested north of the city, after two homemade bombs were discovered.
Six al-Qaeda suspects were arrested in Jalawla.
In Khanaqin, the emir of the Nada region was detained in connection with the deaths of nine workers.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- At Least 4,164 People, Including Americans, Killed in Iraq During May – May 31st, 2016
- 259 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Back in Baghdad – May 30th, 2016
- 100 Killed in Iraq; New Operation Launched near Mosul – May 29th, 2016
- Iraq Special Forces Surround Fallujah; 208 Killed – May 28th, 2016
- Military Denies Bombing Fallujah Hospital; 18 Killed in Iraq – May 27th, 2016