Updated at 7:09 p.m. EDT, Apr. 3, 2009
At least five Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in the latest violence. In one attack, U.S. forces killed a man who was allegedly planting a roadside bomb. Also, a U.S. soldier died of non-combat causes.
A U.S. airstrike killed one man and wounded two others. The trio, along with another man, had been spotted planting a bomb in Taji. At least one man had previously belonged to an Awakening Council (Sahwa), but whether this incident is related to last weekend’s Sahwa riots in Baghdad is unknown. Sahwa members were arrested throughout Baghdad in the last few days, heightening fears that the Shi’ite government is targeting the Sunni group for harassment. Despite mistrust on both sides, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and the Awakening Council leaders are seeking a political union.
Gunmen entered a home in Dour and killed a policeman who lived there.
In Baghdad, four children were injured during mortar fire in Za’afaraniya. A bomb in Sleikh wounded four people. An oil official was killed while his wife and child were wounded in New Baghdad when a bomb planted on a car exploded. Later in the day, a car bomb in Karrada killed two people and wounded five others. Also, no casualites were reported after a mortar barrage in Adhamiya.
Three bombs demolished a electrical tower near Kirkuk, but no casualties were reported.
A bomb was defused in Riyadh.
A suspect was arrested in Dhi Qar. He was relieved of an ammunition cache.
Seven suspects were arrested across Diyala province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018
- Forty ISIS Bodies Found in Grave; 28 Killed in Iraq – June 15th, 2018
- Euphrates Fills with Bodies Floating in from Syria; 18 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – June 14th, 2018
- South Korea Delivers Promised T-50 Jets; Six Killed in Iraq – June 13th, 2018
- Abadi Calls Turkey’s Claims of PKK Operations ‘Propaganda;’ Three Killed in Iraq – June 12th, 2018