Updated at 4:25 p.m. EST, Feb. 23, 2009
Three U.S. soldiers were killed in combat along with their interpreter. At least 11 Iraqis were killed and 23 more were wounded across Iraq today.
Security forces detained 12 Interior Ministry personnel on murder and kidnapping charges. Among their victims was Vice President Tareq al-Hashimi’s sister, who was killed in 2006. Thirteen other suspects are at large. The Interior Ministry was once the source of much sectarian violence. Their police commando units were feared across Iraq; however, in recent years, the ministry has cleaned up the ranks.
In Baghdad, a bomb on Nidhal St. killed two people and wounded six more near the Agriculture Ministry. A roadside bomb in Karrada wounded seven people. Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Ghazaliya, where they killed three people, including two soldiers, and wounded eight more.
In Mosul, police safely defused a car bomb. No casualties were reported after a sticky bomb explosion near the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) offices. An Iraqi National List (INL) candidtate lost a leg in a sticky bomb explosion. Also, gunmen killed a policeman.
One person was killed and another was wounded when a roadside bomb exploded on a road in Mashru, near Hilla.
The body of an Awakening Council leader was found shot to death in Jurf al-Sakhar.
Security forces killed two al-Qaeda suspects in Nahda.
Four suspects were detained in Dhi Qar.
Two suspects were captured near Makhmour.
Six al-Qaeda suspects were arrested across Diyala province.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Drops Bombs on ISIS in Syria; Five Killed in Iraq – April 19th, 2018
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018