Updated at 8:00 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2008
Iraqi troops peacefully entered Sadr City today to coordinate a security takeover with Sadrist representatives. At least 23 Iraqis were killed and 38 more were wounded in other incidents. No Coalition deaths were reported.
Iraqi troops arrived en masse in Sadr City as part of a cease fire agreement that allows them to take over security in the area. No bloodshed was reported, but at least 100 bombs have been recovered during the operation.
In Baghdad, two dumped bodies were found. A bomb on a minibus killed two passengers and wounded five more in Rustamiyah. In Zayouna, a roadside bomb injured two people. A bomb targeting a U.S. patrol on Qanat St. left no casualties. Also, 14 suspects were detained and Austrian-made missiles were confiscated.
Mortar fire killed three and wounded nine in Balad Ruz.
An attack on an Awakening Council (Sahwa) patrol left five members dead in Dhuluiya.
U.S. forces killed an al-Qaeda leader in Samarra, while 20 suspects were detained across Iraq.
In Suleimaniyah, a fight broke out over a vengeance killing. Three people were injured and an Iraqi army captain was handed over to authorities.
One woman was injured when shrapnel from Iranian artillery fire struck her in a village near the border.
In Rutba, a female suicide bomber killed a Sahwa member and left seven others with injuries at a police station.
Gunmen killed a cleric during a drive-by shooting in Mosul.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018