Updated at 12:25 a.m. EST, Feb. 27, 2008
At least 33 Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded in the latest violence, which included a deadly attack on a minibus in Mosul. Clashes at the Turkish border continued as well. Also, the DOD reported that an American soldier died yesterday at Bethesda from wounds received last August in Baghdad.
Clashes between Turkish troops and Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels in northern Iraq continued with possibly heavy losses on both sides. Meanwhile the Kurdish autonomous parliament asked that a treaty allowing Turkey to enter Iraq to fight with PKK separatists be rescinded, and the central government in Baghdad condemned Turkey’s actions.
In Mosul, a suicide bomber killed 14 people and injured 15 more people who were traveling to Syria on a minibus. Three people were gunned down during a drive-by shooting. A booby-trapped car killed a policeman and wounded two more.
An Iraqi army major was killed in a clash with al-Qaeda in Kirkuk.
Gunmen kidnapped 21 men at two fake checkpoints in Diyala province.
A dumped body was found in Hilla.
An Iraqi soldier was killed and his relative was kidnapped in Tuz Khormato.
In Basra, a pair of missiles targeting the Iranian consulate fell short and injured no one. Two rockets aimed at the British base and an IED planted near a judge’s house were defused without incident. Also, a hostage was freed.
An IED in Hibhib killed a truck driver and his assistant.
Gunmen attacked a council member’s home in Nasiriya, but no casualties were reported.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018