Updated: 12:55 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007
At least 44 Iraqis were killed or found dead today and 66 more injured in several smaller incidents. Also, a British soldier was shot dead in Basra. British bases were also shelled but no damage was reported. The U.S. military reported that one American soldier was killed by smalls arms fire in western Baghdad on Tuesday.
In Baghdad, a car bomb killed ten people and wounded 21 others near a Bayaa vegetable market; at least four more explosions were heard after the bombing. Two policemen were killed and four others wounded when a suicide car bomber attacked a police station. Mortars fell on a southwestern residential neighborhood, wounding nine civilians. Also, the body of a police colonel missing for two months was found in northern Baghdad.
Coalition troops killed eight gunmen in Taji and arrested several others.
Two brothers of a prominent Sunni politician were killed in Muqdadiyah.
The body of a man shot in the head was found in Himreen.
A man and a woman were killed when mortars fell in Iskandariya.
Mortars killed two Iraqi policemen when they landed on a Hilla checkpoint.
No casualties were reported when mortars fell on a base in Garma.
In al-Hadid, one gunman was killed and a captive freed during a raid.
Mortars landed at an al-Khalidiyah marketplace where they killed four and wounded six others.
One person was killed and 14 more wounded when mortars fell on al-Maail.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Troops Still Chasing ISIS; 39 Killed in Iraq – December 17th, 2017
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017