Updated: 12:55 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007
At least 44 Iraqis were killed or found dead today and 66 more injured in several smaller incidents. Also, a British soldier was shot dead in Basra. British bases were also shelled but no damage was reported. The U.S. military reported that one American soldier was killed by smalls arms fire in western Baghdad on Tuesday.
In Baghdad, a car bomb killed ten people and wounded 21 others near a Bayaa vegetable market; at least four more explosions were heard after the bombing. Two policemen were killed and four others wounded when a suicide car bomber attacked a police station. Mortars fell on a southwestern residential neighborhood, wounding nine civilians. Also, the body of a police colonel missing for two months was found in northern Baghdad.
Coalition troops killed eight gunmen in Taji and arrested several others.
Two brothers of a prominent Sunni politician were killed in Muqdadiyah.
The body of a man shot in the head was found in Himreen.
A man and a woman were killed when mortars fell in Iskandariya.
Mortars killed two Iraqi policemen when they landed on a Hilla checkpoint.
No casualties were reported when mortars fell on a base in Garma.
In al-Hadid, one gunman was killed and a captive freed during a raid.
Mortars landed at an al-Khalidiyah marketplace where they killed four and wounded six others.
One person was killed and 14 more wounded when mortars fell on al-Maail.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018