Updated at 12:25 a.m. EST, Feb. 14, 2007
On the first anniversary of the Golden Dome bombing, at least 138 Iraqis were killed or found dead today and another 209 were injured in separate events. One extensive bombing occurred at a market in the capital. A GI was killed in Fallujah by a roadside bomb and an American soldier died in a non-combat related incident, both yesterday. The Dept. of Defense also reported on the death of a GI from wounds suffered during a roadside bomb attack on Friday. Also, two Germans are missing in Iraq and presumed kidnapped.
In Baghdad, two bombs exploded in the Shorja marketplace killing at least 81 people and injuring another 172. Another bomb nearby killed nine more people and injured 21 others. In Qahira, another bomb killed two and injured five. Today’s attacks come on the anniversary of the bombing of the Shi’ite Golden Dome in Samarra; it is that attack which is believed to have escalated sectarian violence over the last year.
Also in the capital, gunmen attacked an Interior Ministry employee; she survived the attack but one bodyguard was killed and a second wounded. The editor of a daily newspaper, al-Safir Hussein al-Juburi, was seriously injured in an attack near his home in the Doura district. And, 32 bodies were recovered throughout the capital.
The body of a policeman who was kidnapped last week was found in Falahiya.
Five bodies belonging to Iraqi soldiers were found yesterday in Garma.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018