Hadi al-Amiri, the leader of the Badr Organization, promised that Iraq troops would take control of Tuz Khormato after an operation against Islamic State militants is completed. Then, resident Kurds can return home. The Kurds fled after Peshmerga forces withdrew from the area, following Iraqi actions to capture disputed territories.
At least 71 people were killed, and 11 more were wounded in recent violence:
One person was killed and six were wounded in a blast in Taji.
A lawyer was shot dead in Kirkuk.
A bomb wounded five in the Radwaniya.
Forty militants were killed in a sweep of villages in the Hawija area.
In Imam, four militants were killed.
Security forces killed three militants near Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018
- Kurdish Brothers Killed in Turkish Airstrike Among Four Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2018