Hadi al-Amiri, the leader of the Badr Organization, promised that Iraq troops would take control of Tuz Khormato after an operation against Islamic State militants is completed. Then, resident Kurds can return home. The Kurds fled after Peshmerga forces withdrew from the area, following Iraqi actions to capture disputed territories.
At least 71 people were killed, and 11 more were wounded in recent violence:
One person was killed and six were wounded in a blast in Taji.
A lawyer was shot dead in Kirkuk.
A bomb wounded five in the Radwaniya.
Forty militants were killed in a sweep of villages in the Hawija area.
In Imam, four militants were killed.
Security forces killed three militants near Tikrit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018