Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei met with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in Tehran on Wednesday. Khamenei called on Baghdad to make “serious decisions” concerning Kurdistan and their independence referendum. Although Iran and Turkey have not had warm relations, the common threat of Kurdish rebellion in their own countries is having a unifying effect.
Although Iraqi forces needed nine months to defeat the Islamic State militants in Mosul, they say that without numerous informants in the city, the fighting would have taken much longer.
At least 48 were killed and 22 were wounded:
Three people were killed when they returned to their booby-trapped home in Fallujah.
A car bomb in Husseiniya killed two people and wound four more.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded seven more in the Sabaa al-Bour district.
Five children were wounded when a bomb exploded in Sinjar.
A clash left three tribal fighters with injuries in Muqdadiya.
In Mosul, a bomb wounded two municipal workers.
Near Baiji, 15 militants were killed.
Three militants were killed in Ramadi.
A suicide bomber was killed in Kawthar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018