Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei met with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in Tehran on Wednesday. Khamenei called on Baghdad to make “serious decisions” concerning Kurdistan and their independence referendum. Although Iran and Turkey have not had warm relations, the common threat of Kurdish rebellion in their own countries is having a unifying effect.
Although Iraqi forces needed nine months to defeat the Islamic State militants in Mosul, they say that without numerous informants in the city, the fighting would have taken much longer.
At least 48 were killed and 22 were wounded:
Three people were killed when they returned to their booby-trapped home in Fallujah.
A car bomb in Husseiniya killed two people and wound four more.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded seven more in the Sabaa al-Bour district.
Five children were wounded when a bomb exploded in Sinjar.
A clash left three tribal fighters with injuries in Muqdadiya.
In Mosul, a bomb wounded two municipal workers.
Near Baiji, 15 militants were killed.
Three militants were killed in Ramadi.
A suicide bomber was killed in Kawthar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Team Exhuming Mass Grave Fired On; Nine Killed in Iraq – April 22nd, 2019
- U.S. Service Member Among 17 Killed in Iraq – April 20th, 2019
- ISIS Attacks Federal Police; Four Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2019
- Roadside Bomb Targets Soldiers; 23 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2019
- Militia Attacks Police in Mosul; Eight Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2019