Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr promised to disband the Saraya al-Salam (Peace Companies) militia, the military wing of his organization, once the Islamic State militants are defeated. He plans to continue peaceful protests against government corruption.
At least 64 people were killed and 13 more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants executed 12 civilians in Hawija.
A bomb at a grocery in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded four more.
Five militiamen were wounded in a Jurf al-Sakhar bombing.
A bomb in Hilla wounded two militiamen.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded two people in Jisr Diyala.
Near Tikrit, seven militants were killed.
Thirteen militants were killed in an airstrike in Shirqat.
In Ain al-Namal, security forces killed five militants.
Security forces killed four militants near Qayrawan.
Airstrike on Wali Thalab left three militants dead.
At least two militants were killed during a battle in Zarka.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017
- Kurds Begin Return Home to Kirkuk; Eight Killed in Iraq – October 17th, 2017
- Kurds Flee as Baghdad Captures Kirkuk; 60 Killed, 133 Wounded – October 16th, 2017