Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr promised to disband the Saraya al-Salam (Peace Companies) militia, the military wing of his organization, once the Islamic State militants are defeated. He plans to continue peaceful protests against government corruption.
At least 64 people were killed and 13 more were wounded in recent violence:
Militants executed 12 civilians in Hawija.
A bomb at a grocery in Yusufiya killed one person and wounded four more.
Five militiamen were wounded in a Jurf al-Sakhar bombing.
A bomb in Hilla wounded two militiamen.
In Baghdad, a bomb wounded two people in Jisr Diyala.
Near Tikrit, seven militants were killed.
Thirteen militants were killed in an airstrike in Shirqat.
In Ain al-Namal, security forces killed five militants.
Security forces killed four militants near Qayrawan.
Airstrike on Wali Thalab left three militants dead.
At least two militants were killed during a battle in Zarka.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017