Iraqi President Jalal Talabani indicated he is willing to resign his post because of the ongoing dispute between the Kurdish and federal governments. Talabani, who is a Kurd, met with Kurdish President Massoud Barzani and other political leaders recently to discuss political tensions. The Kurds are unhappy because Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has consolidated too much power. Also, Baghdad is not paying them what they are owed through a profit-sharing deal on oil proceeds.
At least five Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence:
In Baghdad, one person was killed and six people were wounded during a mortar attack in Bataween.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017