Iraqi President Jalal Talabani indicated he is willing to resign his post because of the ongoing dispute between the Kurdish and federal governments. Talabani, who is a Kurd, met with Kurdish President Massoud Barzani and other political leaders recently to discuss political tensions. The Kurds are unhappy because Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has consolidated too much power. Also, Baghdad is not paying them what they are owed through a profit-sharing deal on oil proceeds.
At least five Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence:
In Baghdad, one person was killed and six people were wounded during a mortar attack in Bataween.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018