Iraqi President Jalal Talabani indicated he is willing to resign his post because of the ongoing dispute between the Kurdish and federal governments. Talabani, who is a Kurd, met with Kurdish President Massoud Barzani and other political leaders recently to discuss political tensions. The Kurds are unhappy because Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has consolidated too much power. Also, Baghdad is not paying them what they are owed through a profit-sharing deal on oil proceeds.
At least five Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in light violence:
In Baghdad, one person was killed and six people were wounded during a mortar attack in Bataween.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018
- Militiaman Shoots P.M.’s Security Officer; 32 Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2018
- Scattered ISIS Attacks near Kirkuk; 54 Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2018