In the capital, multiple attacks harkened back to the height of sectarian tensions. At least 15 Iraqis were killed and 67 more were wounded in those attacks and one other in Baiji.
A triple bombing at a Sadr City/Husseiniya bird market killed five people and wounded 42 more. Because Iraqis enjoy buying pets after Friday prayers, livestock markets were repeated targets for insurgents at the height of sectarian violence. Five people were killed and 25 more were wounded during a blast at a restaurant in the Diyala Bridge area, which was also used to be a frequent location for attacks. Gunmen attacked a Kadhimiya home, where they killed five people, a police captain and his family. An I.E.D. wounded four people in Abu Dsheer.
An I.E.D. wounded two policemen near the Baiji cement plant.
A bomb was defused in Balad Ruz.
A Peshmerga guard was kidnapped from his home near Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018